Halloween is a time for fun and spooky celebrations and activities, but it can also be a time for some truly scary fire safety hazards. As the holiday nears, take simple precautions that can help ensure the holiday remains fun and fire safe:
- Use glow sticks or battery-operated candles for jack-o-lanterns and other Halloween decorations.
- When choosing costumes, stay away from long trailing fabric.
- Provide children with flashlights to carry for lighting or glow sticks as part of their costumes.
- Teach children to stay away from open flames, including jack-o-lanterns with candles in them.
- Keep Halloween decorations away from open flames and other heat sources, such as light bulbs and heaters.
- Remember to keep exits clear of decorations so nothing blocks escape routes. Make sure all smoke alarms are working.